Making Friends


Making Friends, mixed media collage in my sketchbook, 2014.


I have been thinking a lot about the concept of making friends.

Do you remember back to the time when you thought every kid in your class was your friend?
I witness this everyday and sometimes I wish I could go back to that time when the thought of friendship was so simple.

At the same time, I also witness: "He told me we're not friends anymore." Followed by tears.
...It's usually over their "Friend" having too many linking cubes of one color, not wanting to share the princess barbie or better yet hogging the marker they want to use.
These kids have no idea how lucky they are to have friends who love them unconditionally for the most part.

Soon enough, you are older and you no longer identify every person you interact with as a friend.
You have moved. Gone to a different School. Found a new interest. Simply lost contact.

It becomes harder to make friends.

******

And my experience lately, has been thinking about a friend I lost a few years ago.
I never thought he would go from being my best friend to my ex-friend.

I'll share more soon, Art imitates life after all.

Comments